Day 2 of my fight against verbal/emotional abuse
What is verbal abuse?
Verbal abuse is the excessive use of language to undermine someone’s dignity and security through insults or humiliation, in a sudden or repeated manner. The behavior of an emotionally abusive parent or caregiver does not support a child’s healthy development and well-being-instead, it creates an environment of fear, hostility, or anxiety. A child is sensitive to the feeling, opinions, and actions of his or her parents.
Nobody should have to feel that way, especially a child. I stand tall as I try to spread the word to let people be aware of what words can do.
- Using sarcasm. Making a mocking remark
- Make fun of Physical Imperfections (things you can’t change), Body size or shape, the way you stand
- Discourage Exploration and Learning
- Put down when wanting to learn new things
- Ridicule free expression of child’s delight
- Told not to try things new
Examples: “My mom told my other siblings that I need to act more like a girl, that I’m too boyish and it hurt my feelings.”
“Why would you want to be a firefighter that’s a man’s job not a place for a girl”
“How come your playing baseball when you should be playing soccer instead”
Here are a few more to keep you ware of what can hurt, children should be supported for their talents and differences not put down for not being the way you want them to be.